Gemini: The Crime Boss (Chapter 3)

Glenna looked around her new home.  It was different than the mansion she had grown up with, that's for sure. Her mind wandered back to happy days with her family.  Her mom and dad had known somehow that this was going to happen. She wasn't sure how but she would find out what happened to them.

She pushed away the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks as she looked at herself in the mirror.  Her appearance still shocked her. The experimental medication she had been given to halt the progression of the illness that claimed the life of her parents had changed her. 

The dark tattoos that marked her chest and back had been one last negotiation with the sleazy crime boss, Maverick.  Glenna had agreed to his terms, she would seek employment and after paying the Gemini Housing District their required fees, the rest of her funds would be turned over to Anarchist.  This would at least afford her a roof over her head and protection from the lawless citizens that controlled the town.

She also wanted these tattoos...maybe she hadn't really been in any position to make demands but for some odd reason he had agreed.  He wanted to know why they were so important to her. She had told him that she thought it would make her intimidating, giving a measure of protection.  She couldn't bring herself to tell him that they were the markings her father had worn.  She wasn't quite sure what they meant but he had told her that she would one day know their importance. 


"What could they mean?" Glenna murmured to herself.   She had no time to reflect as there was an incessant knocking at her door.

It's not like there would likely be a welcome wagon.  She knew no one in this town. Being settled in for less than a couple hours in her new home, it couldn't be Anarchist wanting their money already. No...she had another seven days before that was an issue.  Seven more days to secure a job, pay the bills and then turn over whatever was left to Anarchist.

"Yeah, yeah...stop your knocking! I'm coming!"  Glenna clenched her teeth and flung open the door.

"Maverick? What are you doing here?" Fear gripped at her middle. Getting a visit from the crime boss could only be trouble.

"The name is Ames.  Ames Willow.  I'm Mav's twin brother. I'm here with...a proposition."


Glenna's eyebrown went up in an arch, "A proposition? What do I have that could be of interest to you? I have nothing I could offer you."

Ames gnawed on his bottom lip and uncertainty seemed to flash in his eyes.  "I'm here to offer myself, to you."  He blushed and looked away.

Glenna was shocked and confused, "Excuse me? You're offering yourself  to me?  As in..."

Ames looked horrified at the conclusion she had drawn and quickly interjected, "Glenna, no...I'm not a slime bag!  Mav's family and I love him, but I'm sick of Anarchist. I want to see Gemini flourish. I'd like to see law and order.  There's only one way to do that...someone has to take Anarchist down from the inside.

 Those marks, the ones on your neck, I've seen them before.  My father ordered books to be burned with themes that he deemed dangerous.  He had appointed a committee of community members to read the books in the library and separate any that could be used against Anarchist. Maverick and I, along with a woman by the name of Mirabella Grimm and her apprentice, Titus, were appointed to this task.  I found a book written by James B. Montgomery.  At the time, I thought the book was the writings of a paranoid man.

The writings had outlined government corruption as well as paranoia about mass genocide.  I tossed the books in the flames but over the years, the words have haunted me.  I've always wondered if the symbols prefacing the book meant anything. Then you arrived, demanding not only housing but those same marks.  You share the author's surname..."

Glenna leaned forward, "I don't know what they mean and you've still not explained what you mean by offering yourself to me."

Ames' cheeks flushed, "Well, if you're anything like your father,  you'll have an appreciation for honesty, for law and order.  Everything that Anarachist is not. It is my plan to take Anarchist down from the inside and I want you to teach me everything your father must have taught you. 

Together, I feel like we can bring stability back to the community and as my wife, no one would ever think to ever harm you. 

I don't expect anything else out of this marriage. I don't expect for you to love me but I promise you, I will be faithful. I will do my best to never embarrass you, intentionally hurt you or bring you harm.  I want to be a better man, Glenna.  I think you can give me that.  Teach me about a life worth living.  Give me hope for a better future. In return I give you protection and the resources to make positive changes in our community. Together we start a revolution."

Glenna's eyes were wet with tears, "Okay, Ames.  We have a deal.  I will become your wife. I will help you dismantle Anarchist and I too will be faithful to the vows we speak. But..."

Ames studied her face, "But what?"

Glenna spun on her heel and marched back towards her bunk, "But, you're sleeping on the couch."

1 comment